A practiced editor gives advice to obtain your projects posted in a worldwide log
By Angel Borja, PhD Posted on 24 June 2014 Updated on 10 July 2019
Editor’s note: This 2014 post conveys the advice of a researcher sharing their experience and will not express Elsevier’s policy. But, in reaction to your feedback, we worked with him to upgrade this post so that it reflects our methods. As an example, because it had been posted, we now have worked extensively with scientists to improve presence of non-English language research. – July 10, 2019
Upgrade: in reaction to your feedback, we now have reinstated the first text it was revised so you can see how. – July 11, 2019
How exactly to make a manuscript for international journals — Part 2
In this month-to-month show, Dr. Angel Borja attracts on their considerable background being a writer, reviewer and editor to provide suggestions about planning the manuscript (author’s view), the assessment procedure (reviewer’s view) and what there was to hate or love in a paper (editor’s view).
This short article is the 2nd into the show. The article that is first: “Six things you can do before composing your manuscript.”divider
Dr. Angel Borja is Head of Projects at AZTI-Tecnalia, an extensive research center within the Basque nation in Spain focusing on marine research and meals technologies. Previously he had been also Head associated with the Department of Oceanography and Head associated with the Marine Management Area. Their primary subject of research is marine ecology, and has now posted a lot more than 270 efforts, from where 150 have been in over 40 peer-reviewed journals, through their long profession of 32 many years of research. During this period he’s got examined in numerous topics and ecosystem elements, having an sufficient and view that is multidisciplinary of research.
Read more about their work on ResearchGate, ORCID and LinkedIn, and follow him on Twitter (@AngelBorjaYerro).
When you organize your manuscript, the very first thing to think about is the fact that purchase of parts will be really diverse from your order of products for you list.
A write-up starts aided by the Title, Abstract and keyword phrases.
The content text follows the IMRAD format, which responds towards the questions below:
- Introduction: What did you/others do? Why did it is done by you?
- Techniques: just just just How did you will do it?
- Outcomes: exactly exactly just What did you discover?
- Discussion: exactly what does it all mean?
The primary text is accompanied by the final outcome, Acknowledgements, References and Supporting Materials.
While this could be the posted framework, but, we usually make use of a order that is different writing.
Procedures to organizing your manuscript
- Prepare the numbers and tables.
- Write the strategy.
- Jot down the outcomes.
- Write the Discussion. Finalize the total results and Discussion before composing the introduction. The reason being, in the event that discussion is inadequate, how could you objectively show the significance that is scientific of work with the introduction?
- Write a conclusion that is clear.
- Compose an introduction that is compelling.
- Write the Abstract.
- Compose a descriptive and concise Title.
- Select Keywords for indexing.
- Write the Acknowledgements.
- Jot down the Recommendations.
Upcoming, I’ll review each step of the process in detail. But you should do that will set the groundwork for the entire process before you set out to write a paper, there are two important things.
- This issue become examined must be the very first problem to be resolved. Determine your theory and goals (These goes when you look at the Introduction.)
- Review the literary works linked to the subject and choose some documents (about 30) which can be cited in your paper (These will soon be placed in the recommendations.)
Finally, take into account that each publisher features its own design recommendations and choices, therefore constantly consult the publisher’s Guide for Authors.divider
Step one: Prepare the numbers and tables
Keep in mind that “a figure may be worth a thousand words.” Thus, pictures, including numbers and tables, would be the many way that is efficient provide your outcomes. Your computer data would be the force that is driving of paper, which means that your pictures are critical!
How can you determine between presenting your computer data as tables or numbers? Generally speaking, tables provide the real results that are experimental while numbers tend to be employed for evaluations of experimental outcomes with those of past works, or with calculated/theoretical values (Figure 1).
Whatever your option is, no pictures should replicate the given information described somewhere else within the manuscript.
Another essential aspect: figure and dining dining dining table legends must certanly be self-explanatory (Figure 2).
Whenever presenting your tables and numbers, appearances count! For this end:
- Avoid crowded plots (Figure 3), using only three to four information sets per figure; usage well-selected scales.
- Think about appropriate axis label size
- Add clear symbols and information sets which can be an easy task to differentiate.
- Never ever consist of long bland tables ( e.g., chemical compositions of emulsion systems or listings of types and abundances). They can be included by you as additional product.
Each must have a scale marker, or scale bar, of professional quality in one corner if you are using photographs.
In photographs and numbers, utilize color only if necessary whenever publishing up to a printing book. If different line designs can simplify this is, never utilize colors or other thrilling effects or you’re going to be faced with expensive costs. Of course, this does not use to online journals. For a lot of journals, you can easily submit duplicate numbers: one out of color for the version that is online of log and pdfs, and another in black and white for the hardcopy journal (Figure 4).
Another problem that is common the abuse of lines and histograms. Lines joining information just may be used whenever presenting time show or consecutive examples information ( e.g., in a transect from coast to offshore in Figure 5). Nevertheless, if you have no connection between examples or there isn’t a gradient, you have to utilize histograms (Figure 5).
Often, fonts are way too little when it comes to log. You need to just take this under consideration, or they may be illegible to visitors (Figure 6).
Finally, you have to look closely at the usage of decimals, lines, etc. (Figure 7)
Action 2: Compose the techniques
This section reacts to your relevant question of the way the issue ended up being examined. If the paper is proposing a method that is new you will need to add detailed information so a qualified audience can replicate the test.
But, try not to duplicate the main points of established techniques; usage recommendations and Supporting Materials to suggest the formerly posted procedures. Broad summaries or key recommendations are enough.